Do you have abdominal cramps? Gas and bloating after meals? Diarrhea, constipation or both? Do you have heart burn? Do your symptoms get worse with increased stress? These inconvenient, irritating problems are a collection of symptoms that are often unexplained and labeled with the term IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). IBS causes visit after visit to multiple doctors in search of answers and leads to high medical costs and many missed days of work and school, not to mention social functions.
The symptoms can be severe and greatly impact quality of life. IBS is caused by a variety of factors including: improper digestion, high stress, food sensitivities/allergies, exposure to toxins, bacteria, viruses, parasites, yeast overgrowth and nutrient deficiencies. Getting to the root of the cause is imperative to resolving symptoms.
Below are a few simple steps to get you on your way resolving problematic symptoms:
- Comprehensive Stool Testing: We use GI MAP Stool Profile to address any potential pathogens, inflammation, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, and more. View a sample report at: https://www.diagnosticsolutionslab.com/sites/default/files/gi-pathogens-profile-sample-report.pdf
- OAT (Organic Acid Testing) View more information here: https://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/oat-book
- Repopulate your digestive tract with good bacteria. Add a good quality, multi- strain probiotic with pre-biotics.
- Get rid of the unwanted visitors in your small bowel. Balance the good vs. bad bacteria in the gut and remove other pathogens such as yeast and parasites. This requires making certain that the gut lining is healed enough, otherwise you may experience a worsening of symptoms. Work with a clinician who specializes in gut health.
- Try digestive enzymes: Take with meals to help break down food while your gut heals.
- Address Nutrient Deficiencies: Proper nutrient absorption is needed in order to obtain optimal cellular function. Each and every biochemical process in your body relies on specific nutrients, making nutrient deficiencies detrimental to health. We offer comprehensive nutrient evaluations through Genova’s NutraEval. View more details here: https://www.gdx.net/product/nutreval-fmv-nutritional-test-blood-urine
- Intestinal Permeability Testing with or without wheat, dairy, corn, lectins, egg, nut and soy zoomers (tests). We use Vibrant Wellness to run these extensive tests. You can find out more information here: https://www.vibrant-wellness.com/tests/wheat-zoomer/#1527504422796-ce510636-2662
- Food Elimination Diet: If you can’t afford the tests mentioned above, then just eliminate the most common food allergens for 12 weeks, then reintroduce. The most common sensitivities include: milk products, gluten, yeast, eggs, corn, and soy.
If you suffer from IBS or other digestive problems, then it would be a good idea to work with a Nutritional Therapist like me, who can address any underlying causes of your digestive distress including food related issues, comprehensive stool analysis, and nutrient deficiency testing. There are many factors that affect proper digestion and each must be addressed to resolve the issues and move toward a healthy, functioning digestive track.
Get in touch to schedule an appointment to begin resolving your digestive concerns at the root. I’ve had a great success helping many recover from IBS and other digestive disorders and look forward to working with you.