Day in and day out we are assaulted by toxic substances that can interfere with our body’s biochemical processes that allow us to function optimally, preventing disease. An array of conditions including genetics, stress, inadequate sleep, poor diet, a compromised immune system, dysfunctional digestion and total toxin exposure all determine how much toxic load our bodies can handle, before damage and dysfunction begins to occur.
Unfortunately, even with our best efforts of avoidance, we are constantly bombarded with toxic chemicals in food, in the air that we breath, water that we drink, swim and bathe in, in our toothpaste, cosmetics, lotions, perfumes, soap, deodorant and other personal hygiene products, just to name a few sources.
Due to the overwhelming burden to our systems, it is important to optimize detoxification on a daily basis. Optimizing digestion and absorption, getting adequate sleep, relaxation, exercise and eating a diet packed with detoxifying foods are all imperative to help support your body’s detox pathways. Below, you will find simple lifestyle strategies to support detoxification on a daily basis:
1. Get Adequate Sleep
Falling asleep and staying asleep is imperative for the rejuvenation and repair of the immune system and the organs involved with detoxification.
Getting a good night’s sleep:
- Avoid caffeine
- Avoid food 2-3 hours before bedtime
- Keep a regular sleep schedule
- Control light exposure:
- Avoid keeping cell phone, computers and other electronic devices in the bedroom
- Exercise regularly
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress
2. Eat a Diet Rich in Colorful Foods that support Phase I and Phase II Detoxification
- Broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, artichoke, asparagus, beets, cabbage, onions, seaweed
- Watercress, basil, cilantro, cinnamon, dandelions, fennel, garlic, ginger, hemp, lemon grass, parsley, turmeric
- Green tea
- Pomegranate, apples, blueberries, cranberries, goji berries, lemons, pineapple
- Almonds, Brazil nuts, flax-seed
- Avocados, olive oil, sesame seeds
3. Stress Reduction & Relaxation
Incorporate deep breathing, mediation, and yoga into your daily routine to help lessen the impact of situational stressors.
4. Reduce Exposure to Chemicals
- Drink filtered water and avoid plastic water bottles.
- Use toothpaste without fluoride
- Use cosmetics, lotions, soaps, deodorants, shaving products, sunscreens, shampoo and other haircare products that are free of chemicals and are organic when possible.
- Eat organic foods, locally grown and seasonal
- Use chemical free cleaning products
- Avoid processed foods. Avoid things in bags and boxes and eat real food you can recognize in its original form: responsibly raised animal proteins, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, healthy oils and gluten free grains.
5. Stay Hydrated
Drink half of your body weight in ounces of filtered water, every day.
Don’t be afraid to sweat! One of my favorite saying is “sweat is fat crying” Burn that fat, release water soluble toxins and increase those feel good endorphins.
7. Invest in a 23andMe Genetic Test
To look for any gene variants that interfere with proper detoxification. Once identified, specific nutrients can be added to support proper function.
8. Take Probiotics or Eat Probiotic Foods
Having a diverse ecosystem of probiotic species in your microbiome is important for proper elimination of toxins through stool, otherwise toxins can be reabsorbed.
Following the tips listed above will help add years of vitality to your life. You have one life, don’t accept that you are supposed to feel tired and develop chronic diseases as you age. Your health is in your control. Use food, exercise, and stress management as your medicine.
Contact me, if you feel you need additional help and individualized support with detoxification.
Contact me, if you feel you need additional help and individualized support with detoxification or would like help understanding your detox genetics.
Check out my GetHealthyStore to find non-toxic skincare options and detox support supplements. New products will be added, so check back soon.
Some of my favorites include:
- Megaspore probiotic from Microbiome Labs
- Liposomal Glutathione from Pure Encapsulations
- Clear Change kit from Metagenics
- Pure Genomics B-Complex
- DIM Detox from Pure Encapsulations
- Purity Organic Coffee
Questions about getting started? Get in touch today and take control of your health!